After uncooked mirepoix, of course, the sauteed version….
Now this one is handy. So I keep some in my fridge all the time.
In French restaurants, they make this in advance and use it in many different dishes to save time. I even use it beyond French border… into Italy (ex. Bolognese sauce), into Mexico (ex. Chili), and so on.
To make it more versatile and healthy, the Kitchen Wizard version mirepoix is cooked in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. When butter flavor is needed, you can simply add butter later.
Try sautéed Mirepoix in other things to add flavor, nutrition and color.
- Add some rice and/or meat and use it as stuffing for vegetables and/or ravioli.
- Saute with rice for easy fried rice.
- Mix with ground meat and make meatballs, hamburgers, meatloaf, etc.
- Steam mussels with it… Heaven!
- Use as bases for soups, stews, sauces, pastas…. Your imagination is the only limit!
Mirepoix Three Ways… To be continued…