Would you like a dessert recipe for weeknight that you can whip up in about 20 minutes while you are eating dinner or doing dishes, largely unattended?
I thought so. Especially if you can use some pre-cooked left over ingredient from dinner. (Don’t worry, I won’t use anything savory.) Once of very few sweets I actually make and eat is flan. I love sweet potato version more than regular egg and cream version. It’s healthier too.
What you need is grilled or steamed sweet potatoes left over from dinner before. Make sure it’s cooked tender. With these and hand blender, the prep will be done in a minutes. Then all you have to do is steam and wait for it to set.
Whipped Up Sweet Potato Pudding
- Place 2 peeled, cooked sweet potatoes (about 2/3 lbs), equal amount of milk and cream, or half and half, and puree until smooth with stick blender.
- Add 3 TBS sugar, 2 beaten eggs, and a dash of cinnamon. Mix well.
- Strain the sweet potato mixture through a small sieve into heat-proof cups. (It’s filling, so use smaller cups. It also takes less for them to set.)
- Steam about 10 – 15 minutes (depending on the size of the cup) until set. Or place cups in a oven-proof pan filled with hot water (to about half of the height of the cups)and bake in toaster-oven (faster) or oven until set.
- Use soy milk if you are watching calories.
- Decorate with whipped cream on top.
- If you have extra time, caramelized sugar before pouring in the sweet potato cream will make it even better. (Make sure to apply some butter all over the inside )especially at the bottom first for easier clean-up.
- You can use the same filling for sweet potato pie. You may want to use more egg or less milk, since this pudding is pretty loose.
- To be honest, I thought the sweet potato cream before heated was quite tasty… If you want to just use it as dessert, be my guest. : )
So next time you grill, make sure to bake some extra sweet potatoes… You can eat some for dinner, and you now have an easy dessert later in the week!